UIDAI working to make smartphones as universal authenticator | Smartphone will soon become your universal identity, UIDAI is working on using it as a Universal Authenticator

Photo:PIXABAY

UIDAI working to make smartphones as universal authenticator

Highlights

  • At present, out of 120 crore mobile connections, 800 million are smartphones, which can be used for authentication.
  • 130 crore Aadhaar cards have been issued in the country, covering 99.5 percent of the total population of the country.
  • The concept of data vault is misleading, adversely affecting the purpose of Aadhaar

New Delhi. The Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) is considering using a smartphone as a universal authenticator for any resident’s identity. Addressing a summit, UIDAI CEO Saurabh Garg said that fingerprints, eyes (iris) and one-time password (OTP) are currently used for authentication and efforts are on to expand its scope. Huh. Garg said that we are seeing how the smartphone can evolve as a universal verifier. Work is going on in this direction and we hope that we will be able to move forward in this direction very quickly. This will help people to authenticate from where they are staying.

He said that currently out of the total 120 crore mobile connections, 80 crore are smartphones, which can be used for authentication. Garg, however, did not provide any additional details on how the identification process could be completed using a smartphone for authentication. Garg said that privacy and data security are important for the authority. He said that the Aadhaar number is on the way to become a single identity, which is universally available and universally verified. Aadhar and Direct Benefit Transfer has saved the government Rs 2 lakh crore.

At present, 130 crore Aadhaar cards have been issued in the country, covering 99.5 per cent of the total population of the country. Garg said that every effort is being made to bring the remaining 0.5 percent people also under the ambit of Aadhaar.

Concept of Aadhaar’s data vault confusing

RS Sharma, chief executive officer of the National Health Authority and a senior member of the founding team of Aadhaar, on Wednesday criticized some of the restrictions imposed by the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) due to privacy concerns. Sharma, who was the first Director General of UIDAI, said the concept of ‘data vault’ is misleading, which is adversely affecting the purpose of Aadhaar. Sharma, while addressing a workshop organized by UIDAI, said that the Aadhaar Act states that Aadhaar information should be kept securely. Aadhaar number is not an identity. It (data vault) is like keeping all the numbers on the notes in a secure safe. That is, these numbers cannot be disclosed. This is a deceptive method. Once you start from a wrong foundation everything goes wrong.

UIDAI has recently introduced a concept of Aadhaar Data Vault which will work as a centralized storage for all Aadhaar numbers collected by authorized agencies. Sharma said that UIDAI has come up with the concept that Aadhaar will not be published, which is completely misleading. He said I mean this is my base. The personal number does not belong to the government. I can publish it. How can someone tell me that if I publish my Aadhaar number, you will be jailed. This is another illusion that is starting to happen.

He said that in the name of privacy, you should not kill the purpose. Sharma said the Supreme Court’s decision has defined reasonable requirements for privacy. This decision has been followed by an amendment, which allows voluntary use of Aadhaar to prove identity.

!function (f, b, e, v, n, t, s) {
if (f.fbq)
return;
n = f.fbq = function () {
n.callMethod ? n.callMethod.apply(n, arguments) : n.queue.push(arguments);
};
if (!f._fbq)
f._fbq = n;
n.push = n;
n.loaded = !0;
n.version = ‘2.0’;
n.queue = [];
t = b.createElement(e);
t.async = !0;
t.src = v;
s = b.getElementsByTagName(e)[0];
s.parentNode.insertBefore(t, s);
}(window, document, ‘script’, ‘//connect.facebook.net/en_US/fbevents.js’);
fbq(‘init’, ‘1684841475119151’);
fbq(‘track’, “PageView”); .

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *